The Suffolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority will be accepting applications for the position of MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN until filled. You must submit a S.R.H.A. application to be considered. Resumes may be attached to applications. We are located at 530 E. Pinner Street-Suffolk, Virginia. Salary $8.93 - $12.93
General Statement of Duties:
Under the supervision of the Property Manager performs difficult skilled work in the general repair and maintenance of Authority buildings; does related work as required. Work is performed under regular supervision.
Essential Job Functions (Illustrative Only):
Performing plumbing, carpentry, and repair tasks installing appliances, doors, windows and floors..
- Installs, maintains and repairs appliances.
- Performs carpentry and maintenance work on buildings, facilities.
- Maintains and repairs woodwork, hardware, screens, cabinets, etc.
- Repairs buildings, doors, windows and floors.
- Installs, maintains and repairs appliances and plumbing facilities.
- Unstops sinks, commodes, bathtubs and sewer lines.
- Repairs heating and cooling systems and broken pipes.
- Replaces shingles and siding. Installs sheetrock, vinyl, ceramic and parquet.
- Reconditions dwelling units for new clients. Performs all necessary maintenance and repair work to make unit ready for occupancy.
- Performs the repair and maintenance of plumbing systems.
- Maintains records and logs.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
The statements contained here reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and some experience in skilled building repair and maintenance work.
Thorough knowledge of common hand tools terminology, and accident precaution of a variety of trades.
- Thorough knowledge of building trades.
- Thorough knowledge of common hand tools used in building trades and of the necessary safety precautions.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to maintain records and logs.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with residents and associates.
This medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Work requires climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions.
Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
Visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts at or within arms length, operation of machines, operation motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities.
The worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions, and oils.
The worker may be exposed to blood borne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
Valid driver’s license required and must maintain eligibility for coverage under the Authority’s automobile insurance.
Must pass a drug screen.
Must supply a criminal background record.